Whirlwind

This past weekend I went to Hoboken, NJ for my brothers wedding. Hoboken is just about a 20 minute train ride from NYC so after the wedding sunday night I spent the day meandering around the big city. It was much less intimidating than I had ever imagined. I experienced so many amazing things that I think I am going to have to break the trip down into iconic places.

So to start at the begining...

WTC (World Trade Center)
I took the Path (the train) from Hoboken directly into the World Trade Center. As I rode the escalator up to the busy NYC sidewalk I found myself gawking at the number of escalators there were. It was 8 escalators wide with 4 going in each direction, up and down. Thinking back now it seems sort of silly the things that I did notice on my trip. I really tried to focus all my energy on being present and in the moment. I wanted to really soak up the experience.

So as the escalator brought me closer to the surface I could hardly contain how very excited i was to see every inch that I possibly could of the city. I was mapping out my dissent with a huge grin on my face. As I turned to exit onto the street I was stopped in my tracks. I realized the World Trade Center was no longer just a giant hole in the ground filled with rubble and debris like I had pictured.

Instead of just a big hole in the ground there is now a memorial that opened on the 10 year anniversary of the attacks, September 11, 2011. Also there is a building being errected called Freedom Tower. "TheFreedom Tower is intended to serve as a tribute to those who were lost in the September 11 terrorist attacks. As a functional office tower, it’s also intended to exhibit America’s resilience, and so the Freedom Tower’s designers have taken a number of steps to protect its inhabitants against future threats," according to the towers official website.

 http://www.nyc-tower.com/

You can still see a very large hole in the ground. It was extremely humbling to stand so close to the edge of that hole and remeber...

Comments

Popular Posts